These zero waste chickpea cookies are plant based, and completely vegan! They feature spiced, unsweetened applesauce and maple syrup for a major flavor boost.
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (1.5 cups)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (Try my 30 minute unsweetened applesauce recipe!)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup old fashioned, rolled oats
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup trail mix
1. Preheat oven to 350F and oil baking sheet (or line with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet)
2. Add chickpeas and all other ingredients except trail mix into a high speed food processor.
3. Process until smooth up to 2 minutes, wiping down the blender sides if needed.
4. Fold in trail mix.
5. Spoon batter onto baking sheet. The mixture will be a bit sticky, but will harden up as it bakes.
6. Smooth out the cookies with the back of a spoon or an oiled finger.
7. Bake for 15-16 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
8. Let cool and store in a refrigerated container.