A hearty kale and Italian sausage soup that’s easy to customize and comes together in 30 minutes. What’s not to love!
1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (or 2 cloves, minced)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 can garbanzo beans (1.5 cups)
3 cups chicken broth or stock
1 cup water
1.5 cups half and half (or substitute of choice)
1/2 pound kale, chopped
dash of red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper
1. If not already done, brown the sausage in a soup pot over medium heat, using a wooden spoon to break up any larger chunks.
2. Chop onions if needed and add to the sausage, along with the minced garlic. Sauté until soft. The onions will begin to look translucent.
3. Pour in chicken stock, water, and half and half (or substitute of choice). Add paprika.
4. Cover pot and bring to simmer, then add chopped kale.
5. Recover and allow soup to simmer for 15 more minutes to develop its full flavor.
6. Add red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
I only had coconut milk on hand, but in the past I’ve used many different half and half subs. The options are endless. Because the soup already has so much flavor, the half and half is mainly for a creamier consistency. These all work great: